Sunday, June 22, 2008

a moral dilema?

I have been entering codes online off of Pamper diaper & wipe packages since Addison started using them. There's a program called 'gifts to grow', and the idea is you enter the codes and collect points to then trade for items. Recently I finally earned over 100 points (takes awhile) so I was excited to see what I could 'get' (knowing there is most likely a catch somewhere, but part of me was optimistic). I picked alphabet nesting blocks from Melissa & Doug (by the way, my FAVORITE kids toy company). When I got to the shipping page, the shipping was $12 (which I was sure is more than the item is worth). I looked it up, and yes, I was not getting anything 'free'. So I decided to wait until I had enough points to get a Starbucks gift card, as that did not appear to have a shipping cost.

Tonight I entered 6 more wipe packages, and finally had enough for the Starbucks gift card. As I was searching to redeem my points, I noticed that Pampers had teamed up with UNICEF.

The point exchange was 1 point for 1 Tetanus Vaccine (equivalent to US 0.5 cents). I had 117 points. The Starbucks card was 110 points for $10. I couldn't conscientiously choose 2 coffee-or-coffee-less drinks over 117 vaccines for babies. So I gave all my pampers points to UNICEF. I was wondering what I would do with them anyway, so I love that my buying diapering products for my child helped get 117 more Tetanus Vaccines to those in need.

1 comment:

  1. Gina, I did the same thing a few weeks ago. I wanted the Melissa and Doug puzzle but it was sold out before I had a chance to get it. Plan B was a better option anyways. Great minds think alike. I miss you!! Lets get together soon!!

    Love ya,
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete